Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cultural Addendum: Attempt at African Food

I realized I had promised a blog update on my recent Facebook status about African food. I had seen this African food restaurant a couple of months ago when driving around and had been hoping to try it. Dan didn't seem to excited about the idea, so I decided to go with my new American friends Kathryn and Chris. They live just a few minutes walk away, according to Googlemaps, so I met them at their house and we walked over together. HOWEVER, when we got to where Googlemaps said the restaurant was, which also looked familiar to when I'd seen the restaurant before, there was no restaurant. We walked around all the nearby streets and alleys for about 15 minutes looking for it (and it was pretty hot outside), and we asked two people--Indian people, because we were in Little India--where the African restaurant was, and they both said they had no idea what we were talking about. Chris saved the day because he saw some African people sitting at a cafe and went to ask them where the African restaurant was. They informed us that the restaurant used to be there but had recently closed (thank goodness, I was starting to think I was crazy). Boo. But they said there was another African restaurant not too far away, yay! Sooo we walked to that one. It was a pretty long walk, in the heat. Then we got there, and it was Northern African/Middle Eastern food...i.e. Egyptian type-stuff. And it was practically empty and they menu only had about 10 things on it and it was overpriced and it looked kind of like a front for the Northern African mafia or something...so eventually we just went across the street and ate briyani and then followed it up with boring old Tiger beers. Oh well, at least the briyani was good! Not every adventure can be a complete success I guess. One thing that was a success-I caught the final MRT back to my house by only two minutes, so that was nice! And that was the attempt at African food. As far as I know there are not other African restaurants in Singapore. I guess I'll have to go back to the US to try some--who's up for African food between April 4 and June 7, which are the official dates that I'm gonna be Stateside? Hit me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment