Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Greek Costumes from Bali Lane on Arab Street in Singapore. Oh, and also the coolest building ever.

Talk about multicultural!

So we were doing a project at work where we needed to record a set of skits set in Ancient Greece. The costumes were from shop called Masquerade, which is on a street called Bali Lane, which happens to be In the Arab Street region of downtown Singapore. Which is awesome. My boss was out of town for a few days and asked me to pick up the costumes. I followed his directions and ended up in...

THE COOLEST PLACE EVER!

Seriously, this is like my childhood costume box had been secretly multiplying exponentially all this years and then developed intelligence and took over someone's grandma's attic. SO great! They had fancy dresses with corsets, Chinese clothes, Korean, Japanese, Arabic, Greek, your standard Halloween fare (bride, hippie, french maid, pirate, Disney characters etc.), piles and piles of hats, belts, boot covers, boas, everything! I don't know if they really liked that I was taking pictures, but they didn't say anything. Score! Totally going back. After all, Halloween is coming up...

Here is one of the streets in the area. The big pink facade is the costume shop (big surprise).

The restaurant where I ate lunch--see the awesome, sunlit, charming alleyway beyond it? It looked more awesome in person, I promise. I wish I had mad photography skillz. Anywho, I didn't take any pictures when I actually walked through said sunlit, charming alleyway because all of the shopkeepers were standing in front of their shops looking like they would either scowl at me or laugh at me for taking pictures. :( I wish I had mad secret-photography skillz. Oh well!

No secret photography needed to take a picture of my own lunch. That, my friends, is the best tomato bisque soup I have ever had. (And yes, I've had La Madeleine. It's close, but this was really superb.) And the requisite lime juice, which is my most commonly drunk drink in Singapore, in a tie with iced milk tea. (Not counting of course the classic favorite, lukewarm water from a bottle that I carry around in my purse. FREE! And healthy. However, the drink came included in the set lunch, so I couldn't really pass that up.)

And here is a visual record of the costumes in use, as we record the scenes to be used in the Academic Knowledge and Inquiry website that I'm working on. (These particular scenes aren't uploaded yet, but if you'd like to get a general idea of what we're working on, visit: http://wiki.nus.edu.sg/display/aki/5.2.+Round+vs.+Flat+Earth )

Look at their feet! Those goofy gladiator sandals that are in style finally came in useful! (About half of the girls brought their own sandals to complete their Grecian look.)

Kind of a sidenote: When I was downtown on Arab Street, I got to get a good look at what I think is clearly the most beautiful building in Singapore, which is right next door.

The pictures don't do it justice, but this is a secret courtyard located basically in the front yard of the building, but you can't see from the outside because of a moat-like circumference of MORE BUILDING, albeit only 1-2 stories high.

BAM! Doesn't it look like it belongs in Gotham City?

Picture taken from the front courtyard. Isn't that beautiful? (The two pictures immediately above can be looked at as a kind of vertical diptych to get a better view idea; although they don't match up perfectly it's pretty close.) I have more pictures of some of the surrounding building, other angles, etc., but you're probably bored, and my skills as a photographer don't really capture the complete awesomeness of it.

So yes, fun stuff downtown and at work. Fun fact: these things occurred between September 15 and September 24, so I'm almost almost caught up! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment