Friday, April 23, 2010

Singrish: Third Installment of Interesting Language use in the Lion City




Welcome to my Engrish Blog #3! I have some gems here, people--such as the fun little picture above. Dan didn't know why I thought it was hilarious. :) I had so many pictures on file that I actually had to cut some that weren't funny enough! Hopefully you agree with my judgements on level or hilarity. Let's begin, shall we?

FIRST CATEGORY: Typos. And the Nominees are:
The "Writer Draw 'n Scpape". Way simpler than "Etch-a-sketch", right?


Elmo on a change purse, encouraging Clean teeteh for cosmetic reasons. Who doesn't love clean teeteh, right?
 No caption needed.

NEXT CATEGORY: What's on the Menu?
Wow. That description really helps.

Someone is a little too enthusiastic about their soft drinks.

CATEGORY 3: That must have been made in China...

 On a box for a laptop holder.

This next photo is of a box of tissue that my landlords had in the living room. They speak English, but somehow I don't think they even realized what this said. If so, I would like to think that they would have bought a different box of tissues...


I just don't get it. Is the bored-looking pink-and-yellow cow supposed to be sexy? Sooooo confused...




These next few don't have categories--but don't worry, they're funny all on their own.


This is one of my favorites. It's grammatically correct I know, but still!  Look at the little Smurf-like silhouette! And I'm kind of saddened/worried that this needs to be posted on bulletin boards...

Yes, that says "Steve Florist". That's the name of the shop. Not "Steve's Florist Shop", not "Steve's Flowers", not "Flowers by Steve", not even "Steve: Florist". Just "Steve Florist". The flowers were pretty though...

Speaking of funny shop signs, what about this one:
Don't you ever get tired of all those boring, stick-in-the-mud tailors? Do you find yourself wishing for a suitor AND a suit maker? Well, look no further! There's a Romantic tailor right this way!

Note: This sign is correctly translated. The name of the shop in Chinese is "Luo mon dee ke" (say it fast, it sounds like Romantic)  Tailor. Maybe a more accurate rendering would be "ROMANTIC Tailoring" or something like that...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...*wipes away a tear of laughter* Hoo..haaa...heeeheehee

FINAL (and most hilarious) CATEGORY: T-shirts of awesomeness.

You think this shirt is funny? Just you wait for the next one.
HERO of monkey! My name is Sunny! jeag jeag!

And the cream of the crop for this edition (in my humble opinion):

                                 I have nothing to say.

                                 Except, maybe, WTF?

3 comments:

  1. Is "giant" the brand name or the size of the 'sanity briefs'? And what size would an american wear? gargantuan?

    -MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your laughscape. However, I agree with Dan on the blackcurrant juice with glucose. Thats standard English.No? As for the sanity briefs-WUT!

    ReplyDelete