Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Holiday in Cambodia

Hello friends! Long time since my last update, and I figure if I don't update now I might never get a Cambodia blog post on here. However, I AM paying by the minute here, plus you never want to spent too much of a portion of your vacation online, an the internet is so slow that uploading photos at this time just isn't practical. Therefore, here is the short version! Feel free to ask for further details ;-) And I'm sure a Facebook album for photos will come up sometime soonish.

I left Singapore at 6 AM Sunday morning and arrived in Siem Reap, Cambodia at 7:05 in the morning. The tuk-tuk driver picked me up--most transportation here is either by tuk-tuk, which is a motorcyle with an open car attached to the back of it that seats 2, or some of the biugger ones seat 4 if they have seats facing both sides. The hostel was AWESOME and took care of tons of things for me. My driver's name was Set, and he drover me around basically for two days and he was super nice and cute and tiny and respectful--not vaguely creepy/smarmy like many of the young drivers who won't stop flirting with you EVER. He's 24 and he just got married last month to a 16 year old. Weird. So the main attraction in Siem Reap is the Angkor temples and I spent a lot of time there. And I just realized that I only have 7 minutes of internet left, so the rest of this post is going to have to be in list format.

SO FAR I HAVE:
Spent about 5 hours riding in tuk-tuks
Learned how to say hello, thank you, and yes in Khmer
Seen a LOT of lovely, intricate, old, beautiful temples. I actually like the older ones better than Angkor Wat, which is the most famous and best preserved, but I like feeling like I'm walking through ruins. More "secret garden" style.
Speaking of that, this whole country is basically one "secret garden" moment after another
Gotten two massages
Convinced the massage staff at the hostel to teach me how to do the massage by paying for two people at a time, one to show me and another to be the model. Since it's only $3 an hour I figured I could handle the cost! :)
Thrown two small bottles on a traditional Khmer pottery wheel, which I got to keep. I mean, I had to pay to keep them of course, but super worth it and SO COOL! You actually have to spin the wheel with your foot--it makes it hard to center the clay and definitely takes some practice.
Gone to the Royal Palace
Spent 6 hours on a bus
Taken a Khmer cooking class.

Tomorrow is all the depressing stuff, and then on to Vietnam! One minute of internet to spare, must upload! More soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome! Can't wait for the pictures! And then I'll share some pictures with you--Of the massive amounts of snow that you are missing. At least we'll both have stories to tell about February, 2011.
    (BTW, this is the address I use to reply to student blogs, hence "Mrs. Castelli")

    ReplyDelete