Friday, June 24, 2011

Birthday in Boracay, Fun with Fan, Hanging in Hong Kong

This is a bit out of order, but I realized that back on May 19th I promised a blog about Boracay and another on Fan's visit and our trip to Hong Kong. And then of course I was hosting and traveling and unpacking and repacking and traveling again, and I ended up going to India and posting about that without ever following up :) So here's a quick recap of what I spent most of May doing, and a few fun pictures!

May 13-19 was spent in Boracay, the Philippines. It's a tiny tropical island, and it's everything you imagine if you imagine the perfect tropical island. Bright turquoise water, lovely hotel that was very reasonably priced, cheap massages, white sand beaches, cute beachy shops and nice cheap souvenirs, perfect temperature, EVERYTHING. Paradise. We had an odd Tuesday holiday, so we all took of Monday and took a four-day weekend. It was a big group actually--pretty much every American I know in Singapore. We didn't all come in and out on the same flight, but at the biggest point I think there was a group of 19 of us! I was lucky enough that my birthday fell during the trip, and Chris had been wanting to have a suckling pig dinner from awhile so it was a perfect opportunity! And we went on a sunset sail right before that. After was hookah, dancing, and a super awesome jungle bar across the island. It was the best birthday in recent years for sure.


Sunset cruise!

And private dinner on the beach!

 MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! This was delicious!
I also did one other pretty awesome thing: went SCUBA DIVING! It was fantastic! We were down for about half an hour, the water was so clear! And all the coral and sea creatures look so colorful and cool, I felt like I was in a Discovery channel special!

Two days after I got back from Boracay, my friend Fan came to town to visit me. I was SO EXCITED! For two reasons. 1) I love Fan and she's awesome! and 2) I was really excited to show off Singapore--she's the first visitor I've had since I've been here! We did a lot of stuff, like going to Little India and Chinatown and Arab Street, downtown Orchard Road and City Hall and everything. But the most important thing we did was EAT. Because Singapore has awesome food and Fan and I are both food tourists first!

Dim Sum in Singapore. Which was delicious and we had great company, but which couldn't compare to dim sum in the best sim sum restaurant in Hong Kong, the HOME of dimsum. I had a conference in Hong Kong May 26-27, so I extended the trip a little bit from May 25-May 30 and Fan came with me and we made it into a vacation. And on Saturday we went to the best dim dum restaurant IN THE WORLD.

I loved Hong Kong. It was so energetic and it really felt like a real big city! Since I live kind of in the suburbs of Singapore, it was nice to be in a real "city never sleeps" kind of atmosphere!
Me across the channel in Kowloon, with Central Hong Kong behind me!

We also went into Macau for an afternoon, it's about an hour away from Hong Kong. I loved, it especially the EGG TARTS!!!!! I made them once before, and I'm totally planning on making it a regular thing when I get back, so this Fall when I get back to Chicago, don't be afraid to ask me to make you some!

Fan and I had an awesome time and I'm SO GLAD she came to visit. Everybody else should come visit me toooooooooo before I leave in September! ;)

So sorry about this being so late, but late is better than never, right?


1 comment:

  1. So I'm reading this almost 2 years later...but "late is better than never" :) I love you and so glad to have toured Singapore and HK with you. Looking forward to following your blogposts as you embark on the new adventures. -Fantastic

    ReplyDelete